Thursday, July 12, 2007

Wed-nes-day

Day: 4
Hours: 9
Total Hours: 33
Department: Production
Supervisor: Sandi

So, on my fourth day I met the next newest intern (who had by that point not worked as many hours as I! weird...) Her name is Savanah, and she's from the Yukon... very stylish girl, but I didn't get much time to chat with her.

I spent most of the day sewing 12 darts onto Annie's altered t-shirts. I was taking much longer than I normally would, completing only 5 throughout the day (though I was doing other things on and off), as I was terrified of doing a poor job on a t-shirt being sold for $135-$190. While sewing Sabeena and I chatted a bunch, she's a really super lady. She offered me her recently passed cat's carrying cage when I mentioned that I had two cats and only one carrier. Turns out it was already in the shop and she was really having a hard time seeing it, so I thanked her a great deal and got it out of her sight that night.

Throughout the day, Dinesh asked for help with layering fabric for production cutting. Very precise and logical man. I'm learning a lot from him, but he seems to think that I'm entirely without experience - I know he's doing his best to help me, so I humour him a when he mentions tips that I already go by. He's also always offering me cherries that he brings from his neighbour's overflowing orchard.

Before lunch, Sabeena sent me to pick up some notions (bra strap parts, to be precise) at MacFab. It was nice to get a bit of fresh air.

At 2pm, Sandi called all of the interns (Luis, Savanah and myself) to the lunchroom for a meeting. She outlined a general task list for each of us to stick to for the rest of our time in production. I was pretty well versed in everything on mine already so it was quite comfortable.

Christine called me into her office at 4:30, and we talked about the rest of my internship stay. She asked if I would be up to sticking around after my school's hourly obligation was completed, and I said that I was very interested but unable to commit to much, as I'm about to head into a fairly crazy year already (thesis, my job at G&S, MAAD rep on the student union, member of the digital threads project with the textile museum...etc). It was really uplifting to hear how much they wanted to keep me around, and I agreed that I could do 8 hours weekly at least through the first semester. I'm not sure if I could graduate to a paying job during that period, but I do hope so.

We also talked about my working with her in the business end, and we're set to work together on Monday (to be my last day there before my trip to BC and the end of the internship course). Unfortunately, also got the news that Annie is wayyy too busy and stressed working on her production for fall 07 and designs for spring 08 that she doesn't quite have the time or patience to work with me right now. As I've already been offered more time to work with her later, I'm not broken hearted - and I don't want to add to anyone's stress by being there.

And, that's what I remember of day 4.

No comments: