Monday, July 9, 2007

7/7/7

Day: 2
Hours: 6
Total Hours: 15
Department: Production
Supervisor: Sandi

So I had a nice short shift on Saturday before checking out the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition where a whole bunch of my friends were exhibiting.

My first task of the day was to sew buttons onto jacket samples. I completed 8/9 buttons on the first jacket when Contractor Tommy ran in with an armfull of hot-off-the-sewing-machine shirts for Fall/Winter 2007. They're gorgeous, too. I really want the black boat-neck top. Anyway, Sandi moved me from button sewing to work on Quality Control and fibre content labelling.

Quality Control entails double-checking every seam of a completed garment for sewing problems, trimming off loose threads, making sure that there are the right number of garments in the right sizes, checking for any fabric damage or staining, and notating all the problems that may have occured during production. Any garments that need fixing or cleaning must be put aside rather than sent to the boutique with the rest. If there are too many issues, it becomes the contractor's responsibility to fix them.

Fibre content labelling ususally gets done before the garments are made, but this batch was rushed out at the last minute, so they all had blank fibre content tags attached on the inside. I had to look up each used material in the Swatch book to find their content and washing instructions, which I then carefully filled out on each tag.

I was working very meticulously at both, so that really took the majority of my time there.

When I left the shift, Haley was about to leave too, so we walked down Queen St. together an had a chat. She's a really spiffy girl and I think we have some talents to trade. She said she wanted a more professional website, but to be honest, when I saw her website it looked pretty great for a first run anyway. We'll see.

No comments: