Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Hunt

So, it took me a while to get to applying for internship.

I spent over a month and a half on the internship package to hand around (photos coming soon).
I was so busy with my other summer classes that I unfortunately lagged with getting my application out. Last week, I FINALLY handed in my package at Annie Thompson's Studio.

I'll add a lot more to this post later, describing the process leading up to handing it in, but for now I'll give a quick run-down of how I ended up being taken on as an intern.

I first called the Studio to follow-up on my application on Friday, at the time, no one was available to talk with me about an internship interview. I called back on the next business day, Tuesday the 3rd, and was answered by Hailie(sp?), who said that if anyone would be contacting me about an internship, it would be someone named Christine. She said she'd leave a message for her. I called back the next day, and rather than going through the spiel of the last two days, I just asked to talk to Christine directly.

I asked Christine whether she'd seen my internship app/package, and she hadn't! I was dissappointed, but she immediately launched into questions on the phone, and I was very encouraged by her interest. We chatted for a while, and she arranged a meeting with me for Monday. I was ecstatic.

I had to be in Toronto again today, so I decided to put together a new internship package to drop off for Christine so she could see it before meeting with me - I knew it was a strongpackage and that it would get my foot in the door, if it wasn't already.

I called Christine this morning to ask if it was ok with her for me to drop it off with her. She replied that she had been so intriguied after our conversation that she had hunted it down. She said she was "blown away"! She loved the package and was impressed with my skills, and she asked if I would be available to come by sometime after 1pm today, rather than waiting til Monday.

Perfect!! I have to get 60 hours in by the 17th, and time is RUNNING OUT! So, even though I was already supposed to be at the school for a first year meet-and-greet for the Student Union, I bailed and took off for the interview.

I showed up at the Boutique/Studio at 1:30, and was immediately greeted by an incredibly warm and encouraging Christine. It felt more like a "so when can you start?" spiel than an interview, and I felt totally at home. She is in charge of the business and organizational end of Annie's business. Christine is fantastic. We chatted for just over half an hour, before she introduced me to Sandi, the production manager. Sandi was equally cool, and showed me all around the boutique and production studio... which was really cool.

While I was talking with Sandi, Christine called Annie to see if she could meet with me today. In minutes I had an appointment for 40 minutes later at Annie's creative studio, around the corner.

I gathered myself together, tried to not psyche-out and headed over.

Annieand her studio were exactly as I'd imagined/hoped. She had a more intimidating demeanor than the other two, but that only makes sense as it's her business. She seemed impressed with my enthusiasm, and after another half hour chat, I had been told that showing up tomorrow at 10:20 would be great.

Omigoodness. I have an internship with my hero.

Sometimes life can rock.

It just takes work.

No comments: